Indoor Air Quality booklet
- Kelly Irvine
- Jason Esteves
It is highly recommended that all buildings have carbon monoxide detectors and regular inspections by a professional. Although the symptoms of CO overexposure are in alignment with those of the flu, never hesitate to go to the hospital if carbon monoxide poisoning is a possibility as it will lead to unhealthy side-effects and potentially death. When suspicion of high levels of carbon monoxide exists, immediately exit the building and call the fire department. If carbon monoxide exposure is suspected, a blood carbon monoxide reading needs to be taken promptly in case medical treatment is required. If you are diagnosed with CO poisoning, prohibit anybody from going back into the building until a qualified service person checks for all possible sources of carbon monoxide leakage.
Note: The included graph explains that the length a person is exposed to carbon monoxide as well as the concentration level will directly affect the severity of side-effects. COHb, a complex of carbon monoxide and hemoglobin that can be found in blood cells, is one hazardous result of excess amounts of CO.